At today's Surrey Board of Trade 2016 Economic Forecast Lunch, the Surrey Board of Trade (SBOT) launched their Youth Entrepreneurship and Advocacy Action Plan (YEAAP).
"One-third of Surrey's population is under the age of 19. As a business organization we have a responsibility to support our youth in entrepreneurship activity. They are our future workers and entrepreneurs," said Anita Huberman, CEO, Surrey Board of Trade.
The SBOT Youth Entrepreneurship and Advocacy Action Plan encompasses the following fundamentals:
1. It is an economic and social imperative to address youth unemployment challenges
2. Boosting youth enterprises deliver substantial benefits both for the entrepreneur and for the economy
3. Entrepreneurship is not for everybody, but for many it can provide a long-term route out of poverty
4. Making entrepreneurship work is not the responsibility of one sector alone; it requires dedicated actions from all sectors of the community
5. Young people need to be encouraged and supported to take advantage of the opportunities of entrepreneurship
While some programming and collaborative activity has existed, the YEAAP creates structure in the overall Surrey Board of Trade objective on the Workplace Development Strategy for Youth.
The Surrey Board of Trade Youth Entrepreneur Team, comprised of business leaders and youth, will tie services, programming and events into the SBOT's Business Centre as a hub for young entrepreneurs. The Youth Entrepreneur Team will engage in:
- Grades 4 to 8 Students: Surrey Board of Trade PowerPlay Young Entrepreneurs® Program
- Grades 10-12 Students: Surrey Board of Trade & Junior Achievement of BC Youth Leaders of Today Program (in its 9th year)
- Post-Secondary-University & College Programming which include marketing services in collaboration with Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)
and University and College Business Plan Competitions (including ongoing participation in the SFU Venture Connection Program)
- Work Experience Program
- Youth Business Events which include the SBOT's Top 25 under 25 Awards and Youth Innovator Award
- Youth Entrepreneur Business Centre Services
For more information, please contact Anita Huberman, CEO, Surrey Board of Trade at email@example.com or at 604-634-0342